- On October 3, 2018
- Loctite Hysol EA 9394 AERO is a unique thixotropic paste that despite have a room temperature cure, has an impressive service temperature of 177°C
- Hysol 9394 can be used for the repair of composite mould tools, filling damaged sections and porosities to revive the mould back to its original state.
- Because of it’s high compression strength and elevated service temperature, Loctite Hysol EA 9394 can be used as a liquid shim, potting and gap filling material for bonding load bearing structures of aerospace components.
Hysol 9394 is a room temperature cure two-part high temperature structural adhesive that can be used for the repair of composite moulds, bonding dissimilar structural materials together like carbon fibre composite, aluminium, magnesium and titanium alloys.
1. High Service Temperature, Despite Room Temperature Cure.
Despite being a room temperature cure adhesive, once cured it has an impressive service temperature of 177°C. Service temperature is defined as that temperature at which this adhesive still retains 1000 psi/6.9 MPa) using test method ASTM D1002 and is 350°F/177°C. These features make it an incredibly useful product for the bonding of high temperature components, mould filling and structural repair. This lends itself to aerospace applications where the component are subjected to a wide variety of temperatures and changing environments.
2. Repair of Composite Moulds
One of Hysol’s most common uses is for gap filling the surface of composite moulds, to revive the surface back to its original strength and smoothness. It maintains dimensional stability at a variety of temperatures between -55°C and 177°C and can be easily shaped, with hand fettling tools.
The technician will identify areas of porosity on the surface, mix up the appropriate of Hysol 9394 base and hardener with mixing spatula. Then using a fine tipped spatula, to dab the mixture into the deepest point of the porosity, massaging the mixture into the void until it is proud of the surface or contour that needs to be re-sculpted.
Often the damaged part of composite mould will be a sharp/acute edge that projects outward from the mould surface. These will break off after a period of time because they are least supported and most vulnerable part of the mould tool. These acute angular sections can often be replaced by machined metal alloy inserts, to strengthen them in these areas.
3. Used for Potting, Filling and Liquid Shim Applications
When used for composite bonding applications Hysol 9394 eliminate gaps between composite surfaces and offers high compressive strength properties. This high compressive strength makes it particularly useful for gap elimination in composite bonding applications. Hysol can be used as a liquid shim and is formulated for optimal service in a wide range of environmental conditions, including withstanding exposure to fuel, water ingress, high/low temperatures. This makes it ideal for aerospace use and load bearing structures.
Find Out More…
If you’d like to find out more about how Loctite Hysol EA 9394 AERO might be useful for your next project, click here to get in contact and we’d be more than happy to help you find the right process for your application.